Monday, June 10, 2013

Sneak Peek from the Sequel!!

I'm not sure what I ever imagined myself doing after I published my first novel back in March, but I'm pretty sure writing a sequel so soon afterward was not it. And yet, that's exactly what I've been doing. I have so enjoyed every message I've received from every single reader of Rose, On Her Own. I could have only dreamed of having people read and enjoy anything I'd ever written this much.

I'm quite certain that Rose will become a trilogy now, if not a series. It's all still in very rough form at the moment, but for anyone who might care...I thought I'd offer a little peek into the sequel Rose, On Her Way. It begins mid-conversation with Rose and Jeannie:

"You know, Frank even offered to shoot Trevor's wedding alone, Jeannie. And swore he would never tell you. But I love my job, and as torn as my heart was that day, I knew I had to go on. My camera is always my first love. I was true to that, and true to myself.”

“You know, Rose, even if you had not been able to attend the ceremony that night, and even if I had found out, I would have understood. You know that.”

“I know, Jeannie. I know. But I held myself to a higher standard. My career had to come first. I couldn't let those feelings get in the way.”

“My dear Rose. Those weren't merely feelings. Those where emotions that defined your life at that moment in time. And take this however you choose, but I've seen the pictures from that night and they were nothing short of remarkable. I don’t know how you did it, but you did. If you remember, I told you when I gave you the assignment that the last wedding would be your best work, and I was right. And now, knowing how much you had been through that day, it’s a true credit to your talent that you were still able to produce such beautiful photographs. And let me add this much…I know I’m older than you, and I’m from a big city, but even a fool could see there’s something special about Trevor. I can’t put my finger on it, but he’s unique. A small town guy for sure…every small town has one that stands out. But he’s wonderful on the eyes, and adorable. I understand you more than you know, Rose. And I understand why you fell.”

Rose knew every word Jeannie spoke was true. Being reminded of how easy on the eyes Trevor was definitely a fact no one needed to remind her of. And even though Rose was apprehensive to open up to Jeannie, again, she knew it was for the best. Jeannie understood so much about her. Even things Frank couldn't understand. They had a wonderful bond and Rose always felt as though life made so much more sense after Rose a discussion with her. Rose had confessed some extremely personal situations to her in the past few months, and knowing she had Jeannie’s support was something she counted on. She felt it a wonderful thing to have this woman as her confidant.

“I appreciate that, Jeannie. He really is a special person. I’ll never really know what came over me that made me do the things I did with him, but I can’t really say I regret it. Does that make me terrible?”

“Not at all, Rose. Not at all. Let me ask you one thing. Did you get anything positive from the experience? I’m assuming you did, otherwise you would regret it. I've told you before, I've had affairs. Sometimes they end well, and sometimes they don’t. But if you’re lucky, you learn something from it all. You seem to have emerged from this different somehow. Like you've been refined…through the fire and all that. I like it, Rose. You may feel guilty or remorseful, but I like what I see in you since all these events transpired.”

“You see all that in me, Jeannie?”

“Yes, Rose. I do. But I have to be honest with you. Though I see lessons learned and decisions made, I also still see some confusion in your eyes. I know you love Frank, but you haven’t yet convinced me that you have Trevor completely behind you. Am I right? Just tell me if I’m not and I won’t ever bring it up again.”

Rose stared down at the table again. There was no point in lying to this perfectly wonderful friend. And even if she had, Jeannie would have known the difference. 

TO BE CONTINUED... :)  I hope to publish the sequel by late summer 2013

Feel free to visit my  new website (still in the developmental stages) at www.michelependleton.com

The book Rose, On Her Own is available at amazon.com in print and for the Kindle:
http://www.amazon.com/Rose-Her-Own-Michele-Pendleton/product-reviews/1482569167/

Also for the Nook:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rose-on-her-own-michele-pendleton/1114922420?ean=2940016190150&itm=1&usri=2940016190150

No comments:

Post a Comment